Washing: Your curtains got dirty from just dust or perhaps someone spilled something on them. Now if they are your favorite, be on the safe side and get them dry cleaned. Often times even if a curtain says machine washable, they really aren’t. Or if they are, make sure they don’t go through the normal cycle. The delicate cycle will always be your best bet even if they are extra dirty. Not 100% sure why a lot of curtains say machine washable just to turn out not to be. You can tell after a washing if the colors have faded or you have small pieces of fabric missing. Very little damage will likely occur if it does but its still best to be careful. Some curtains will however rip and destroy themselves but those almost 99% of the time will say Dry Clean Only.
Drying: Then the dryer after cleaning. Make sure to always use just non-heated air especially if you have a thermal backing on the curtains. Soundproof curtains have such a backing and if you put these in the dryer they will likely melt and you’ll have ruined curtains afterwards. After all these backings are usually a type of plastic that melts really quickly. Plus with little room in the dryer there’s a good chance the curtain won’t move around enough to evenly distribute the heat. Instead you’ll have one part heat up a lot more than the others. If something starts to smell, turn off the dryer immediately!
After Cleaning: You may notice that after cleaning your curtains that they do not smell like the fabric softener or even the washing liquid you used. Sadly you can’t prepare for this happening besides unless you just do dry cleaning. The best option in this case is just let them hang and wait as the smell will go away. Otherwise a few squirts of febreze will help out greatly!
Keep those curtains clean and smelling fresh!
A great looking and soft functional shade by Best Home Fashion is currently 62% off! What is normally $59.99 is on sale for $22.99 which is an amazing deal for a nice window shade like this with quite a listing of features.
Here’s a bit of information on the shade itself:
- 99.9% Blackout! To nicely keep out the light.
- Tie-up that’s part of the shade/curtain itself so no need to go out and purchase anything extra except maybe a curtain rod!
- The shade itself is 63 long and 42 inches wide so it should cover any standard window.
- Insulated against the heat and cold which is always a plus!
- Does have some soundproof curtain like features as it is made to reduce noise!
- Is machine washable
- Currently comes in 5 various colors (deal may not match all colors available)
- Can be shipped for free for Amazon Prime members!
- Made by Best Home Fashion.
Take a gander and possibly purchase this deal here: Tie-Up Solid Insulated Thermal Blackout Window Shade
Don’t miss out on this great deal if you’re looking for a single window shade!
Autumn is here and it’s time to look for some new curtains to celebrate the season! We’re going to look at Arlee’s Tuscan Stripe Thermal Backed Curtain in this review. A well designed curtain like this is an amazing piece to add to any home. With its inviting colors, lots of features, and long lasting material this could be the curtain just for your home this season.
Let see what these curtains have in store for you if you purchase:
- Thermal Backed – Straight off the curtain offers great insulation that can save you a bit of money and keep you warm as we transition into the winter months. Of course if there’s still a few hot days left it will keep your home nice and cool if you wanted. However they are thinner than some curtains so you may want to invest in something thicker if you have really drafty windows. However in most cases the thermal backed part though will do its job quite well for you.
- Light reduction – While these are not blackout they will help keep light incoming into the home down. So while this may not be the perfect set of curtains on a window that gets a lot of light they’ll still be perfect for the others that get less and works fine at night.
- Machine washable – What else there is to say other than yay! No dry cleaning required for this set but you will need to make sure wash them in cold water.
- Sound reducing – Does reduce sound a bit and is stated to do so. From what we can tell however there is no actual testing done to show that they reduce noise by a certain amount.
- Material – The material itself is 70% polyester and 30% cotton. There have been concerns and complaints by others that they can come with wrinkles and maybe unable to get rid of them. Washing may also cause wrinkles that you can’t remove but you should be able to remove small wrinkles with an iron on very low heat.
- Colors – The colors are amazing rich looking and just have this nice warm feeling to them. If you’re a fan of curtains that have more than just one plain color this curtain is really for you. The colors work really well together and can add to any room that you want a little more warmth and style. There are also three different color sets the curtains come in themselves: Autumn, Mocha, and Sage.
This is a nice curtain panel that’s currently on sale for 58% off which makes it even a better deal. They are currently selling for $16.67 a panel right now on Amazon for the moment and ships free with Amazon Prime. Do note though that the purchase is just for one panel so if you have a bigger window you’ll need to make sure to purchase another panel. Overall if you’re a fan of rich colors and the autumn season these curtains are for you.
Take a look at the curtains here on Amazon to get them or see further reviews of the curtain. 52-Inch by 84-Inch Arlee’s Tuscan Stripe Thermal Backed Curtain (Autumn)
Today we’re reviewing the amazing Best Home Fashion Pinstripe Thermal Insulated Blackout Curtain. This is a beautiful set of curtain good for any place within your house and could be the perfect set for you. These curtains have a good combination of features to not only reduce noise but keep costs down as well. It’s a set that should be looked into if ever wanted to have a more soundproof house.
So lets look into everything about these curtains:
- Grommet fitting – Bronze grommets with 1.6 inch inner diameter to fit most standard curtain rods. These work very well and allows easy usage of the curtains.
- Insulating – Made to not only help reduce light coming in but really save on cooling and heating costs by give an extra layer of protection against the elements. The curtains themselves are stated to have over 32% of warmth keeping properties which really high compared to most which can be half that.
- Blackout – When they stated this curtain was blackout they weren’t kidding as there is absolutely no way light will come through these curtains. At 99.9% blackout of light these will make sure you have a light-less sleep so a really good set for the bedroom.
- Machine washable and that’s always a plus!
- Sound reducing – Thanks to the several layer weave and being made to not only be blackout but insulated as well the curtains reduce quite a bit of noise.
- Soft – To give you that warm cozy feeling you’ve always wanted at home especially during the winter these curtains will not disappoint. The curtains themselves are soft to the touch.
- Color and design – Currently down to Burgundy and Navy only as Beige is no longer an option. However the design and colors could just work well for about any house and room you wanted to place them.
- High quality – The curtains themselves are 100% polyester and made by Best Home Fashion which has a great history of making some quite amazing set of curtains that can last you quite a while.
This set is one of the nicer noise reducing curtains we’ve seen with an stunning beautiful burgundy color. If you’re a pin stripe curtain fan as well you’ll definitely want to check these curtains out! The curtains themselves are also on sale currently on Amazon for almost 70% off and look to be going fast at a low price of $24.99. A very good purchase for any new home owner looking to add a beautiful set of curtains to their house or apartment owner looking to reduce some city noise.
You can buy them on Amazon here: Best Home Fashion’s Pinstripe Thermal Insulated Blackout Curtain (Burgundy)
A common question is how much noise can actually be reduced by soundproof curtains. Before we can answer this however we must look at a term used to rate soundproofing materials like curtains, drywall, and windows. STC or also known as Sound Transmission Class is a rating of how well airborne sound is eliminated by the object in question. In other words, it can approximately tell you how much decibel reduction in noise you will get. We’re going to dive into a bit more detail than we normally would in this post so just be warned it may not make as much sense the first time through.
Quick decibel levels comparison
20dB – Watch Ticking
30dB – Whisper
60dB – Normal Conversation
70dB – Busy Street
90dB – Lawn mower
Drywall, windows, and noises
While in your house a typical layer of drywall with no insulation you’re looking around an STC of 30. This is also known as a paper thin walls because a person on the other side of the wall can hear you talking. So take a normal conversation decibel level of 60dB minus STC of 30 which you’re left with 30dB. Note that different frequencies can affect how much noise is actually reduced. As for windows a single-pane glass window will have an STC of between 20-25 which is doesn’t provide as much sound reduction as one would hope.
The top of the line industrial strength soundproof curtains can have a STC rating of up to 35. Unless you’re looking to really stop the noise and spend the money you unfortunately will have to settle for living room curtains which won’t provide as great of an STC rating. A really good set of curtains will probably have a STC rating of up to 15 while you’re most likely going to get between 5-10. Now this may not seem a lot at first but your perception of increases or decreases in decibel levels can weigh in on how much noise is actually being reduced. Plus of course the more layers of noise reduction materials you setup between you and the problem the decibel levels can only go down.
Looking at a quick example of a noisy street, having 70dB can be reduced on average by 20 by a window and then again by 10 by curtains. You’ve reduced the noise down to almost a whisper which is more enjoyable to sleep to though you can reduce it even more with foam, double-pane windows, and an additional set of curtains.